Asthma is widespread among the people of all ages and this is because of humiliating quality of air. The air passage that carries oxygen and carbon-dioxide in and out of the body is attacked severely by the disease. During an asthma attack, this air passage gets swollen on the interior walls thereby making breathing difficult for the person. This generally happens when a person accidentally inhales some allergens or free radicals.
The worst thing about the disease is that it cannot be treated completely. This means that if one gets diagnosed for the disease, he might just have to live with it all his life. Nevertheless, there are several ways of managing it.
In order to attenuate asthma attacks, it is expedient to have a balanced diet. Asthma patients can breathe a sigh of relief as different kinds of food are available that help curb the disease.
So, needless to say that if one wants to fight the disease, one should make a note of the following food items:
- Honey: Being rich in minerals and vitamins, honey happens to be a health-booster. Its anti-bacterial as well as anti-oxidant properties keep allergens at bay.
- Fish, as we all know, is abundant with natural oils mainly Omega fatty acid. Such oils are anti-inflammatory if consumed in the right quantity.
- Ginger, onion and garlic are pretty much rich in nutrition thereby making them beneficial for asthma patients. They act as anti-inflammatory agents necessary to prevent asthma attacks.
- Fruits are considered healthy for everyone. Fruits rich in vitamin C are particularly beneficial to asthma patients. They should be included in the diet as much as possible.
- Carrots: Being rich in anti-oxidants (beta-carotene), it helps to protect the body against free-radicals. Besides, carrots are considered good for the eyesight owing to presence of vitamin-A.
- Green vegetables: Inclusion of green leafy vegetables in the diet is propitious for everyone. Those suffering from asthma should eat green vegetables regularly as they help in smooth functioning of respiratory and circulatory systems. They also help in curbing inflammation caused during an asthma attack.
- Beans, nuts and grains: One fact worth mentioning here is that level of magnesium is higher in minimally processed foods than highly processed foods. High level of magnesium is necessary to inhibit frequent asthma attacks. Beans, nuts and grains are rich in magnesium and hence good for the health.
- Green Tea: Its natural contents help in overall body functioning. It clears and widens passages of the body such as arteries, veins, air passage etc.
- Coffee, which contains caffeine that is otherwise not useful to the body as such, is beneficial to asthma patients to a certain extent as it helps in appeasing a person having an asthma attack.
- Water is indispensible for survival. It serves various functions including draining out body waste lightening mucus blocking the airways. Minimum eight glasses of water are required by the human body. Some more for asthma patients are advisable.
On the whole, asthma could be fought against in a healthy way. Consumption of the above mentioned items in mandatory amounts could promise you a healthy life with fewer asthma attacks and related problems.